Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's been a pretty trying 2008, so far.

I get a lot of time to myself, either it be driving to/from a client site or working late at the office.  The result of which gives me a lot of time to reflect on the things that has been going on.

It's now the end of April and since the beginning of 2008 I've seen two friends pass on, a person conquer breast cancer, another person deal with their alcoholism, couples trying their hardest to have a baby, people struggling to make ends meet, houses foreclosed on, and so on.

Basically, the first half of 2008 has been a whole lot of gut wrenching emotional trials for people close to me.  I would be lying if I said these events haven't, personally, brought me down...  or that it hasn't made it difficult to focus on the regular day to day stuff.  It has, but surprisingly, not enough to dampen my spirits or diminish my drive to enjoy life.  In fact, it's reinforced and strengthen them.  In every case, as each obstacle is dealt with, a new and more exciting positive thing happens. 

I think the reason for this upbeat attitude, is simply because of my goal to simplify and take the approach of addressing things day by day, one issue at a time.  There's also the constant and comforting reminder of being surrounded by friends and family that are always willing to join together and act as support whenever someone is in need. 

So, here I share some of the lessons I've learned over the past four months:

  1. Take things one day at a time
  2. Be thankful for what you have
  3. Don't regret the past
  4. Don't worry about the future
  5. Live life in the now
  6. Let loved ones know that you love them
  7. A smile costs nothing, but can be a priceless gift to another person
  8. Get a dog
  9. Have a party planner put together my funeral arrangements

0 comments: