Friday, February 15, 2008

Sunday Bloody Sunday

If you know me, you know I'm a big U2 fan.  I've been one ever since I was a wee lad back in the 80's. 

I'm especially a lover of their older, earlier music.  You know, albums like Boy, War, and October.

One song that always get me riled up is "Sunday Bloody Sunday". 

If you don't know, "This Song is Not a Rebel Song" it's was U2's nonpartisan condemnation of the 1972 Bloody Sunday in Derry, Northern Ireland.  On January 30, 1972, British Paratroopers killed 13 people (6 of which being minors) during a civil rights protest. 

As the story goes, The Edge starting writing Sunday Bloody Sunday with lyrics condemning the IRA.  However due to the political air in Ireland and the possibility of the lyrics being misinterpreted as sectarian, Bono changed the lyrics to simply point out the horrors of war and violence.  One of his goals was to contrast the 1972 Bloody Sunday with Easter Sunday, a peaceful day which *both* Catholics and Protestants celebrate.

Either way, the song simply asks...  how long must we put up with people dying due to hate, prejudices and disagreements?  Why can't we just put down our guns, our bombs, and just work on getting along. 

Wow... I wrote a long introduction... 

I simply wanted to share this cover of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" by Saul Williams.  It was produced and arranged by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails.  The song is from the album "The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust". 

It addresses another kind of war that's closer to home.

0 comments: