Friday, November 2, 2007

I'm not a database snob...

... but, when it comes down to it, you can't shine poop.  And using Microsoft Access as a data source for a website is exactly that, albeit a weak attempt but still. I should say that Access has it uses and its place.  I've suggested it to many customers for simple desktop applications or network tool with a small number of clients.  And, it is possible to use Access for a website's data source...  but it should be for a personal website, specifically one that's not all too popular, either.  ;) Why don't I like Access?  I know many of you care... Without going into much detail here are my issues: Low number of Concurrent Users possible No Scalability No Database Management Tools No Good Backup Solution to preserve Database Integity No Stored Procedures or Triggers or Transactions So moral of this short story...  download SQL Server Express 2005 and run from there. The reason I write this is b/c we have a new client who's previous developer utilized an Access database for his enterprise solution... what's that mean to me...  more work. Bottom line...  I blame Bill..  that's strike three.  First Herb...  then MSIE Rendering Engine... and now this...  sigh...  Maybe I should just go with Leopard or Linux (DSL)... 

0 comments: